It’s about to get so real right now-
3. Thou Shalt Not Derogate, Disparage, or Dismiss Those Who Support the Yunjae/Jaeho Couple In Any Form or Fashion, without a valid reason.
Valid reasons DO NOT include:
- Personal aversion to the pairing of Jung Yunho and Kim Jaejoong, whether romantic, sexual, platonic, or some combination of these three
- Personal aversion to the production and distribution of fanfiction, videos, pictures, banners, etc of Jung Yunho and Kim Jaejoong together in any capacity
- Personal aversion to the production and distribution of fanfiction, videos, pictures, banners, etc of Jung Yunho and Kim Jaejoong together in any capacity AFTER the lawsuit filing
- Ground Forces Festival 2015, in which Jung Yunho and Kim Jaejoong were SCHEDULED to appear at the event by the SOUTH KOREAN MILITARY, NOT AN ENTERTAINMENT AGENCY OR A YUNJAE FANCLUB
- Ground Forces Festival 2015, in which Jung Yunho and Kim Jaejoong engaged in FRIENDLY, NON-HOSTILE INTERACTIONS with each other of THEIR OWN INITIATIVE
- In light of points 4 and 5, Yunjae fans took pictures and videos of these moments and reported on it, WHICH IS WHAT ANY SHIPPER OF ANY PAIRING WOULD DO
4. The Yunjae/Jaeho policy and clauses 1-3 shall also be applied to the following pairings:
- Yoosu/Junchun (Park Yoochun and Kim Junsu)
- Homin/Minho (Jung Yunho and Shim Changmin)
- Jaechun/Chunjae (Kim Jaejoong and Park Yoochun)
- Jaemin/Minjae (Kim Jaejoong and Shim Changmin)
- Minsu (Shim Changmin and Kim Junsu)
- Jaesu/Sujae (Kim Jaejoong and Kim Junsu)
- 2U (Jung Yunho and Park Yoochun)
- Yoomin (Park Yoochun and Shim Changmin)
- Hosu/Suho (Jung Yunho and Kim Junsu)
- Yunjaemin (Jung Yunho, Kim Jaejoong, and Shim Changmin)
- Jaejoong/Yoochun/Junsu (aka JYJ as a threesome)
- Any combination of Jung Yunho, Kim Jaejoong, Park Yoochun, Kim Junsu, and Shim Changmin not previously mentioned
The following is commentary from The Court:
The Court understands that some Yunjae shippers can be obnoxious and annoying (holding Yunjae signs at a TVXQ or JYJ concert). However, it is simply illogical to label all Yunjae shippers as such. We are sure that there are obnoxious and annoying shippers of every couple in the DBSK/TVXQ fandom-such is not limited to Yunjae shippers. More importantly, fanfiction and other fruits of the shipper are pure fiction. Even if one or more pairings happens to be true or “real”, that does not mean that writers of other pairings must cease and desist. Therefore, it is illogical to label Yunjae fans as “delusional” because almost all shipping is delusional to some extent. Furthermore, if Yunjae is a “manufactured” pairing, or a pairing that SM created to bring attention and revenue to DBSK and themselves, then the same could be said of HoMin. Before the split, HoMin was a pairing that SM largely ignored, leaving it up to shippers themselves to find moments and develop content. However, since TVXQ’s comeback in 2011, SM has constantly emphasisized Yunho and Changmin as the pair from antiquity by editing out the members of JYJ from old DBSK footage and insisting that an author not include a couple of sentences about TVXQ originally being a five member group in an intro-to-Kpop book (as well as having said author mysteriously credit pre-2011 albums to only Yunho and Changmin). Therefore when Yunho and Changmin became more comfortable with each other and their situation (“he’s all I ever need” couple dialogue, mutual touching, etc), it did not take long for some to conclude that HoMin was the REAL DBSK couple hidden beneath all the “fake” Yunjae. Broadly speaking, the JYJ threesome is also a manufactured pairing because it did not exist prior to the split, at least not in the form of “we’re suffering together, we’re best friends, and we’re a sexual threesome.” In other words, HoMin post-split and the JYJ threesome are circumstantial pairings.
In conclusion, The Court views all DBSK/TVXQ/JYJ pairings as valid creations inspired by the members’ love for each other. We find the bickering over whether or not a particular pairing is legitimate as pointless and counterproductive.
To add to the Court’s opinion, while there were some people in the fandom who harbored anti-Yunjae sentiment pre-split, those feelings intensified and spread more rapidly post-split. Before, some people objected to statements like “Yunho and Jaejoong are DEFINITELY dating and having sex!” in favor of “Bromance” and “They’re really good friends/Bros for Lyfe!” Now even Yunjae friendship is a no go. Not only is friendship between Yunho and Jaejoong a no go, but any connection (friendship, meeting behind the scenes, love etc) between the members of TVXQ and JYJ in the present is derided as a near impossibility. I feel that we have now arrived at a place where Yoosu, Jaechun, and HoMin, i.e. the major pairings of JYJ and TVXQ, are automatically granted a higher degree of legitimacy over other combinations between members of both groups (especially Yunjae).
The reason for these changes in the fandom landscape are due to what I call fandom politics. You notice that all of the pairings I listed (Yoosu, HoMin, Jaechun) are “in-house” pairings. You also notice that Yoosu is the only “traditional” pairing (Yunjae, Yoosu, Minfood or Changmin Forever Alone/Changmin with a Girl) from DBSK left in the current major lineup. This is because Yoosu does not pose a threat to either group like Yunjae does. Why? Jaejoong.
Jaejoong’s OT5 sympathies have been the bane of JYJ stans’ existence. They’d like nothing to do with Yunho and Changmin (and by extension SM Entertainment), but JJ expresses his undying love for both of them so consistently that some JYJ stans have thrown in the towel. Their new tactic is to pray for no DBSK reunion (coupled with a “this too shall pass”). Others use the good ol’e derailment tactic by focusing on the anti-Jaejoong comments made by TVXQ stans. Of JYJ stans internal criticisms of Jaejoong, “loves OT5” probably makes the top 5.
However, this is “small potatoes” compared to the danger that Jaejoong poses to TVXQ stans. JJ’s affinity for both OT5 and Yunho means that TVXQ stans have been working overtime to paint him in a bad light. Jaejoong is the corrupt, attention-seeking, and nasty slut that the moral, upright, pure, and outstanding Yunho should stay away from. Yunho CANNOT be dirtied by Jaejoong, regardless of his personal feelings. And since Yunho is too nice for his own good, TVXQ stans have to protect him from Jaejoong. When Yunho and Jaejoong met at the Ground Forces Festival in 2015, some blamed Yunho for being too nice, too polite, and too ill to reject Jaejoong’s offer to catch up. If only Yunho were like Changmin, DBSK and TVXQ’s resident Jimmy Firecracker:
For if Jaejoong can somehow convince Yunho to work with him to make a reunion happen, either TVXQ as a duo will be done for (Changmin sure ain’t going to continue as TVXQ by himself) or lose its pristine sheen. Even if they only share a stage with JYJ for a couple of nights, TVXQ will become dirty (just look at the comparisons that were made between TVXQ and JYJ during Yoochun’s sexual assault scandal).
Point is, under these frameworks that I have presented here, Yunjae CANNOT happen in any way, shape, or form. Yunjae is the force that destroys all that stans hold dear-purity from JYJ’s supposed moral and career failings, and purity from SME. That is why BOTH JYJ and TVXQ stans focus their hate on Yunjae- they fear the dirtiness that they perceive each side brings to the table.
That concludes this post. But in the words of Wolverine, “I’m…not…finished…yet” with this “How To Make The DBSK, TVXQ, and JYJ Fandom Better” Series.
“Small Potatoes”: From “If Donald Trump Had Said All The Things You’ve Said He Said” by the Gregory Brothers
“I’m…not…finished…yet”: From X-Men The Animated Series (1992) Episode 13